It consisted of a slotted cylinder through with one views paper animated movie strips. As the cylinder spins the user looks through the slits at the pictures on the opposite side of the cylinder’s interior. The scanning of the slits keeps the pictures from simply blurring together so that the user sees a rapid succession of images producing the illusion of motion, the equivalent of a motion picture (see our video above).
Recently, optical toys and devices like the ones sold here are popping up in movies like The Woman in Black, Oz The Great and Powerful and Jack the Giant Slayer. And we supplied Disney with our very own Zoetrope Replicas and Phenakistoscope Sets to use in The Long Ranger.
Our zoetrope, the ZOEFLIX, is HAND BUILT in Northern California by master craftsman Les Cookson with solid hardwood and hardwood laminate, real brass decorative tacks and solid real materials—no cheap ABS plastics or cardboard. It spins on a steel ball bearing and works as great as it looks!
You have two options. The basic ZOEFLIX and the ZOEFLIX HD, which has some awesome extra features! See the features for each listed below listed below.
The basic ZOEFLIX Includes…
- Solid hardwood leg
- Spins on smooth ball bearing
- Closes together nicely for storage and comes packaged in this classy gift box →
- Cylinder is made of thick stiff Eco-Friendly faux leather
- Decorative brass tack-work
- 14 antique animation strip reproductions and printable templates to make your own animations, a booklet of animation instruction and historical background about the toy
- Measures 9 1/2 inches (24 cm) high X 5 1/4 inches (13.5 cm) in diameter
The ZOEFLIX HD includes everything above plus…
- A beautiful top with a spinning knob that makes spinning it more fun
- A bright LED light that attaches to the top to light up the animation—this feature adds a lot to the device!